July 4, 2014

91 Days of Summer - paintings # 7 and #8

Mountain Study - Smithers, 8X10"


Mary's Pasture, 12X9"


You can see that there was no way to avoid having to deal with Aspen trees and with snow capped mountains on this trip.  Although I have a ways to go before I master either, it was great fun to take a stab at it.  What I am absolutely loving about painting in a wide variety of settings is that I get to deal with new subject matter constantly, and am reminded of the very meaningful fact that:

YOU CAN ONLY EVER PAINT FOUR THINGS:  VALUES, COLORS, SHAPES AND EDGES.  

Keeping that in mind, I block in the painting from big shapes to small shapes.  I always know I am in trouble if I reach for a small brush early in the painting.  Detail comes at the end, not the beginning of a painting.

I find painting plein air goes easiest for me if I look at it like writing an essay.  Flesh out the big ideas (design, values, colors, shapes) and then wrangle it in to the final draft near the end of the painting.  Like an essay, if you have too many words, or no clear main point, you will lose your audience.  Less is more in my opinion.  And although I would hate to bore a viewer, I hate to bore myself even more!

Paint something brilliant today!

Best,
Gaye

No comments:

Post a Comment