July 13, 2014

The 91 Days of Summer, paintings 9&10

Poppy's Blossoms 12X9" 

Mary's Garden 12X9"

I am NOT a painter of flowers or gardens, but something different is always good.  In all the years I have painted, I have never painted a tree in bloom - or a garden.   These are images from Smithers.  So much information.  I had no idea where to start...

" Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment"  (Eastern saying)

So, that is what I did.  The paintings are not genius, but I went in and did them, and finished them. I learned a lot in the process.   Such absolute bewilderment - where to start, how to simplify.  Squint, Squint, Squint.  Large shapes to small shapes. 

I realize that in showing you folks all 91 paintings, you are going to see some that have turned out really well, others that are not  entirely resolved....but I won't have time to edit.  Here's where you get to see that no matter how long you paint - and I have been at it for decades- some paintings come easy, some come hard.  And not all of them will turn out and I will show them to you anyways.  Painting is difficult, and plein air painting most especially.

I have learned to drop the expectation of it ever becoming easy.  And that's OK :).

It's 35 degrees today in the lower mainland.  Go find a nice cool creek and pack a picnic lunch and your paints.

Best,
Gaye

No comments:

Post a Comment