December 2, 2011

"Goleta Beach Tidal Estuary", oil on canvas 8X10"


















So, I'm at this AMAZING beach, and couldn't decide what direction to paint - as you can see, I didn't paint the beach.  These oak trees, which are very old and very plentiful in this area, silhouetted against the distant lit hills caught my attention.  You have to paint what engages you, otherwise the energy for painting the thing well is simply not there.  At least not for me.

"The main thing  is to keep the main thing the main thing" (Stephen Covey) - especially when there are a lot of interesting elements to choose from.  So many important lessons I am learning as I spend a month painting in the great outdoors.  One burning question stays at the forefront of my mind every time I set up:  "When is this going to get easy???"

Happy Painting,

Gaye

No comments:

Post a Comment