December 5, 2011

Eucalyptus Study 8X10" oil on canvas























I've been looking at the Eucalyptus trees ever since my first visit to Santa Barbara but had not yet painted one except as a distant element.  The trees are so large that it is difficult to get back far enough to see the entire form.  I had an opportunity this last week, and so here is my effort.  It was a lot of information to simplify.  A lot can be left out, as long as what you leave in is correct. Besides, there is no time to paint a lot of detail.  Changing light and chilly breezes certainly encourage brevity.

It's humbling this painting out doors.  It feels so often that my vision exceeds my grasp, yet I keep bellying back up for another round.   Ah, the thrill of the chase.

Best,
Gaye

No comments:

Post a Comment