June 3, 2018

Changing it Up

"Outflow"  oil on board, 10X8"

I wanted to share this quick study with you because it illustrates so well something that I have been working with
lately; painting on a dark surface.  This board was primed with acrylic paint - a very dark, transparent brown.  I know it looks black in the photo, but it isn't. 

You can see how much of the board remains unpainted, which can make for good success in paintings that have a lot of dark values.  The darks are already there, so all that is required is to "carve" into them with middle and light values.  I am having a lot of fun with this approach lately, and have been using it in the studio and in the field.  I could go ahead and paint into these darks, but I think the design is stronger without and further value changes.

It's always good to try new things.  When you are watching a demo or attending a workshop, try what is being demonstrated rather than staying in your comfort zone.  The only good thing that can be said about the comfort zone is that it is, well.....comfortable.  Nothing can be discovered from there, and it is a place where ambivalence, boredom and unrealized potential abound.  I don't dig it much.

 Be bold!  Be willing to "sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment" (eastern saying, not sure from where, but it has become my mantra).  

And above all, have some fun, will ya?  It's just a canvas.  I understand there are lots more at the art store.

Warmly,
Gaye

PS - check out my upcoming Croatia tour and also my summer plein air workshop.  I still have room for a few more.  Go here for more info: http://www.gayeadams.com/workshops/

No comments:

Post a Comment