May 12, 2012

The Rain in Spain, pastel 8X10"




















Hola, Amigos!  I have had insufficient time and internet to keep up my blogs, but now am finally back to Canada after a wonderful two weeks in Spain, painting the Andalucian countryside.  The study above I called " The Rain in Spain"  because we had some - rain, I mean.   A strong system came just in time for the olive crops, and for my workshop, but it made for a beautiful lush, filled with wildflowers landscape to paint.  Also fascinating cloud formations and ever changing light.  Interesting stuff to paint, but challenging conditions.

Get it down, and get it done - that's the only way to handle those conditions.  First things first - no dawdling, daydreaming or tentative paint handling.  It's quite exhilarating, sometimes frustrating, ever challenging.  My bunch never complained once about the unsettled weather conditions that prevailed for part of the trip, and we had an amazing time.  Hilary and Mike Powell were amazing hosts, and Mike, the chef extraordinaire, keep serving up the best cuisine I have experienced anywhere.  Spain is a very beautiful country.  I shall be in touch with further posts about my painting experiences over the last two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment