April 15, 2010

Heading into the Great Outdoors!























Honey Jar, 6X6", oil on Linen


So today the birds are singing and the sun is shining and I am going to head out doors to paint, and hope to be doing so for the bulk of the summer.  Painting these small studies indoors I am hoping will help me with my plein air paintings as well.

In just a few days, I fly to Scottsdale AZ to do some painting with my good buddy, Liz Wiltzen.  We have been chatting about our feelings around the effort expended doing these little studies.  When you are getting paid by the square inch, there comes moments when you wonder, "What's it all about, Aflie?, is this going to pay off?".

Obviously, we are both convinced it will make a huge difference to becoming better at our craft.  If it is only about getting paid, then doing these studies doesn't make sense in the short term, but it will pay off in spades in the long term.  Besides which, they are so much fun!  A totally different experience than painting from reference photos.  When you move the experience out into the great outdoors, there is even more challenge.  Shifting light, wind, bugs, cold, heat.....and I wouldn't miss it.  I may  be away from posting for a little bit as I am not sure I want to haul my computer down to AZ., but I will be posting my plein air studies when I get home.  Till then, I wish you happy painting, and hope  you get the bug to head outdoors, the most challenging daily painting experience of all!

No comments:

Post a Comment