February 2, 2018

Doing Your Own Thing




Alpen Glow, 24X30", oil on canvas

Today I have posted an image that you may have already seen if you follow me on Instagram or Facebook.  I thought about painting this image for about a decade before it actually got birthed, and when I set brush to canvas, it almost painted itself.

Why did it take me so long to get to it?  Well, I wasn't sure I knew how to do the subject matter justice.  I used a photo reference from the Lake Ohara area that I had taken over a decade ago, but lacked the confidence to tackle.  By the time I did get to painting it, I had more tools in my belt as an oil painter.  I had become better at manipulating the paint, allowing me to handle the diversity of edges and nuance of color I needed in order to do this piece justice. 

So often as artists, our vision exceeds our grasp.  We don't even know what we don't know.  Given enough time and practice, the solutions do eventually appear, but it is a long learning curve.

So, if you have a painting (or two or three or four even) that you are wanting some input or feedback on, I have an offering for you:  this April I am starting a studio class that is geared at helping painters work on pieces that they are not sure how to tackle or resolve, in a friendly, informal, and intimate setting.  Over ten weeks, students will attend eight classes (I will be holding all ten classes so that students can miss one or two and still make all eight classes that they have paid for).  The idea is to mentor students individually on their own projects to lend suggestions and guidance that will shorten the learning curve while students work on subject matter and in a format that most appeals to them.   Lord knows I don't have all the answers, but I guarantee I'll have some ideas for you to consider.

 In addition, I will  do some demo work by bringing to class what I currently have on my studio easel.  I'll show you mine and you can show me yours....

The class is suitable for all skill levels and all mediums, so go to my site for the details: www.gayeadams.com  and look under workshops.  Classes will be held Thursday afternoons from 1:30 till 4:30 in Fort Langley and the cost will be $425 for eight sessions.  The class will be capped at 12.  Our location is a lovely bright room right on the river front.

Let me know if you are interested by emailing me:   gayemadams@gmail.com.

I am preparing for my annual Santa Barbara getaway, and shall post next from there.  Looking forward to escaping the rain and painting on some beaches...such a rough life.

Until then, happy painting!

Gaye

No comments:

Post a Comment