November 24, 2015

One Step at a Time

Lemmen's Inlet, 30X30", oil on canvas


























Before I talk about the above painting, I want to tell you something....those that have been following my blog will know that I have been navigating through an experience of having a palsied right hand.

With no improvement evident over the last three months, I was scheduled for surgery this past Friday, November 20th in which the surgeon would attempt a nerve graft.   Then, less than 48 hours before my surgery, a finger moved.  Very exciting from my perspective.

My surgery was cancelled!  I am doing the happy dance over here.  Feel free to join in.

It will take some time, but the hope is that things will continue to improve without a surgery...that my body is finding a way to repair despite the degree of trauma it has had to deal with.

This would not be a painting blog if I didn't weave this life experience into my painting experience (art imitates life...or does life imitate art?) so here it is...

The studio piece above, painted about a year ago, was one of those paintings that I just didn't know how to tackle.  So I just started with what seemed to be the most obvious and straightforward.  After that, I found the next area that seemed obvious, etc.

Here's the lesson:  when you feel overwhelmed, in life or in art, just start someplace.  Anyplace that makes sense.  When things are started, momentum is created, and a relationship between the parts starts to form.  In other words, what you have just done will help you find your way to the next bit, etc.

I have no formula or typical approach when I paint, and so I paint the way I live, one step, one day at a time, trusting that the next thing will unfold as I approach it.  Think of it this way:  when you are driving a car at night, you only need to see as far as the headlights shine - beyond that, trust that the road will unfold.  Don't panic, just carry on.

My easel and my next cup of coffee are calling, so this is where I leave you, hoping your easel is calling to you as well.

All the best,
Gaye








5 comments:

  1. totally awesome Gaye. My dad had a severe stroke and he recovered his voice and his legs with therapy. The body is an amazing adaptable body so keep on practicing! love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very good news! I wish you all the best for a complete recovery. But should that take time, it is important to remember that your talent is not in your hands its in your head. Your abilities far outweigh any disabilities as you are already proving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wonderful news Gaye!!! I was wondering how your surgery had gone, a little bit at a time right? It's amazing how much we have achieved when we look back and do a recount or review. At the time though, it seems everything is going so slowly! I am very happy for you! Happy Painting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news and great advice, Gaye. Thinking about you and sending positive energy your way.

    ReplyDelete