December 18, 2011

Back to the land of the ice and snow


















Goleta Beach was my last painting location in Santa Barbara - I'm back to Sorrento, but still California dreamin'.  I painted faster than I posted, so I still have some plein air sketches coming your way over the next two weeks.  Perhaps  looking at the southern Californian landscape  will help keep you warm:).

After a whole month of painting on location I have to ask myself what I learned.  These small paintings are certainly not as lucrative to sell as larger studio paintings, so why would I spend a whole month doing it?  The easy answer is that when I get back to the studio after a stretch of painting out doors, the studio paintings seem to go more easily than before.  All that training of the eye - nothing like it.  Really.



Happy painting,
Gaye

No comments:

Post a Comment