May 1, 2010

Plein Air in the Sonoran Desert
















The trip to the desert was amazing.  I am back from two weeks of painting in the desert outside of Scottsdale, AZ.  Painting this desert was a thrill.   My good painting buddy, Liz Wiltzen, and I spent three days in the landscape in all kinds of changing conditions.  Day one we were wearing down coats, and on the third day we were slathering on sunscreen and trying to find shade.  This is a photo I took on the first day, and I will be posting some paintings over this next week once I am back in the studio.

We also studied with Nancy Crookston while in Arizona, an AMAZING  American oil painter who shared her knowledge and skill with us.  I'll post some more info about that on my next blog.  For today, I just wanted to show you the desert,   a totally different subject matter both in terms of form and palette.

1 comment:

  1. Let's see those paintings! :) Great seeing you at the workshop!

    ReplyDelete